Friday, April 11, 2014

Reflection for Friday, April 11, 2014

FRIDAY OF THE FIFTH WEEK OF LENT
JER 20: 10-13
PS 18: 2-3A, 3BC-4, 5-6, 7
JN 10: 31-42

At this time in the semester it is almost essential to take things in small steps. Many of us need to take it one day at a time while still trying to plan far enough ahead to keep ourselves out of trouble.  In today’s Gospel, Jesus is conversing with a crowd who is ready to stone him for blaspheming because he says that he is the Son of God. Jesus’ response invites us to something much deeper, but also gives us the option of taking small steps.  Jesus says, “if I do not perform my Father’s works, do not believe me; but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” Jesus knows our humanity and appeals to this. If we are not ready to take on all that God has led us to at this point or to take that leap of faith, he invites us to look at the blessings around us – all of His good works – and take it one step at a time.

I have found myself asking what the point of Lent is as we have progressed through this season. Why are we asked to take these forty days and to focus our attention on having a change of heart and mind? I think Jesus’ response can give us some insight on this. We are called to become closer to God; to know his love and to find ways to show it – to live it. Jesus invites us to come to know him, and his Father, more deeply through small steps. This is something we can all manage.

For this last week of Lent, I challenge you to look around you and see the works Jesus has done. If we only look for it, God’s infinite grace and love is visible all around us. One day our small steps might even lead us to take that leap and to let our belief guide us to live as Jesus did.

Emily Polovick is a junior studying Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment