Thursday, April 3, 2014

Reflection for Thursday, 3 April 2014

THURSDAY OF THE FOURTH WEEK OF LENT
EX 32: 7-14
PS 106: 19-20, 21-22, 23
JN 5: 31-47

Dear one,
I am writing to let you know that you have my praise, and you do not need to look any further. I understand that you get tangled in the web of life and it gets harder to see who you are. There are voices coming from all sides telling you who you should be, telling you how to be good enough. In this world of comparison, you are constantly seeking the praise and approval of others; constantly measuring your own worth against theirs; constantly chasing an empty ideal of success that was created by the world. And you wonder why you cannot find peace. The praise that you seek from other people has become the molten calf that you raise up and worship. It is where you seek value and meaning, yet it always leaves you empty, wanting for more. Yes, it is true that you were created with a sense of incompleteness, a longing for a place to fit and call your own, a desire to be understood and accepted. But you are searching in the wrong places. The world will always tell you that you are not enough, but I challenge you to believe that you are.
I ask you, “How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another and do not seek the praise that comes from the only God?” (John 5:44). How it pains me to see you turn away in search of earthly recognition. You were created for a much higher glory. That place of understanding and acceptance you are seeking has already been set aside for you. You will find completeness when you can find your worth not in the recognition of others, but in me. You will find peace. I love you. I am proud of you. I have plans for you that are uniquely yours, beyond human comparisons. So seek my praise in all you do, without concern for the comments of others. Work for the recognition I have for you above all else. Stop worshipping the praise you receive from others, because I give you my praise, and I beg you to believe it. You are enough. You are strong enough; you are smart enough; you are caring enough; you are beautiful enough; you are good enough; you are enough. Believe that this praise is enough.
All my love,   
            God

Jackie Bova is a junior studying Theology and Communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment