Monday, March 21, 2016

Reflection for Monday, March 21, 2016

Monday of the Holy Week
IS 42: 1-7
PS 27: 1, 2, 2, 13-14
JN 12: 1-11

Sometimes I get overwhelmed. As I flip through my Facebook or Twitter feed, watch the news, or even walk down the streets, I see so much pain and hurt. Injustice and brokenness seem to be everywhere I turn. Sometimes I just get so tired. I want to turn away from the pain in my own life, the life of my family and friends, and so many around the world. But I cannot.

Today’s Lenten passages are a reminder that we serve a God that is invested in bringing rightness, justice, and His heavenly kingdom to this broken and hurting world. Not only is He invested in it but He is in fact strong enough to accomplish this task.

I love this mix of passages because in Isaiah we are reminded of the dedication of our Creator to His redemptive plan. He will see justice. In the Psalms we see our God who hears our cries when we are overwhelmed and afraid. And in the gospel we see our Savior who will soon go to the cross to bring redemption to all creation sitting in the house of his friends and allowing a woman to wash and anoint his feet.

God says to us,
“I, the LORD, have called you for the victory of justice,
I have grasped you by the hand;
I formed you, and set you
as a covenant of the people,
a light for the nations,
To open the eyes of the blind,
to bring out prisoners from confinement,
and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.”

During Lent we have the opportunity to worship at the feet of our Lord just as Mary did. To remember the sacrifice he made in order to fulfill his purpose of renewal and restoration of creation. He will give us strength for the task He has called us to.

I am tired. I am overwhelmed. But I also know that the God who has called me to seek justice is Creator and Sustainer and as I sit at His feet and reflect on who He is in the midst of a community of fellow justice seekers I know I can stand up and continue on to victory.

Bonnie Atkins is finishing up a Masters in Social Work and works as a Graduate Assistant with Fraternity and Sorority Life. She is looking forward to finding her place in the fight for justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment