Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Reflection for Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Lent 
IS 49
PS 145: 8-9, 13CD-14, 17-18
JN 5: 17-30

College is a completely different type of busy. While it allows more freedom than high school did, a new level of discipline is required. I am constantly trying to balance work, class, clubs and a social life, which can all make a relationship with God a difficult thing to maintain. It’s really easy to begin to feel distant from God, just as it’s really easy for college students to become with their parents. Sure, I called them all of the time when I first started school, but as I’ve begun to move into my later years in college and my schedule has become more and more jam packed, the conversations have become fewer and further between. However, I know in the back of my mind that when the time comes that I need advice, a few extra bucks, or simply a reassuring voice at the other end of the the line after a long day, my parents will be there with open arms.

The exact same thing is told to us about our relationship with God in today’s readings. In the first reading from Isaiah, we are told that God calls for all of us—the prisoners of the world and those who have fallen into darkness to “come out!” and “show yourselves!” He will provide food and water for us when we hunger and thirst, guidance through the mountains and valleys when we are lost, and a beacon of light for us when we are struggling. The Lord, like a mother and her infant, will never forget us, even when we have: “Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you.”

The Gospel reading from John offers us a different look: our relationship with God the Father. Growing up, I wanted to be just like my dad. I wanted to have the same job as him, know everything that he knew, hold my mother’s hand like he did: my dad was, and always will be, my hero. He, in turn, has dreams for me: to ultimately be a faithful and honest representation of him. The same is true for Christ and God, his (and our) heavenly Father and hero. When looking at the actions of Christ, you are seeing the will of his Father. For everything that the Father does for his Son, the Son will do even “greater works that these, so that you may be amazed.” The Son has been given the power of judgment by his Father, so you must honor the Son as the Father. The two are one in the same, mutually dependent upon the other, just as any son’s relationship should be with his father. Christ knew that his Father would always be there for him no matter the trial or tribulation; let us never forget that either, that our heavenly Father is always there for us if only we remember to reach out.
I pray that this Lenten season is an opportunity for you to not only grow closer with your heavenly Father, but your earthly parents as well.


Byron Abrigg is a junior majoring in Economics and Entrepreneurship and minoring in English from Youngstown, OH. He is heavily involved with St. Benedict Joseph Labre Ministries with the Homeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment